Ambitious Farm Bureau members looking to take their involvement game to the next level may consider contending for a seat on the MFB Board of Directors. This year’s state board election will decide who represents Farm Bureau members in Michigan’s odd-numbered districts, currently occupied by the following:
- Dist. 1 — Brigettte Leach (Kalamazoo)
- Dist. 3 — Mike Fusilier (Washtenaw)
- Dist. 5 — Stephanie Schafer (Clinton)
- Dist. 7 — Mike DeRuiter (Oceana)
- Dist. 9 — Ben LaCross (Northwest Michigan)
- Dist. 11 — Pat McGuire (Antrim)
Two at-large positions are also up for reelection:
- At-Large — Andy Hagenow (Kent)
- At-Large — Doug Darling (Monroe)
The third at-large position is occupied by President Carl Bednarski (Tuscola), who will be up for re-election next year.
Members looking to join the state board of directors are asked to express their candidacy in writing — email works — to MFB Secretary Andy Kok on or before the Annual Meeting Kickoff Nov. 3.
MFB’s State Annual Meeting Rules Committee instituted a new rule last year asking candidates for MFB director positions to provide a written statement describing how they meet the bylaw qualifications for directors, attesting that they are “directly and actively engaged in farming as owners and/or operators of farms whose primary interest is in farming” — and that they are not employed full-time in an occupation other than farming, nor serving in a county, state or national elective office.
“This move was recommended by a statewide committee several years ago,” Kok said, “to help the delegates understand how each candidate meets the ‘full-time farmer’ eligibility requirement for service on the board of directors.”
Statements will be shared with delegates prior to elections taking place.
Prospective candidates should contact Kok directly for the necessary form or more information.
Not up for reelection this year are those directors representing even-numbered districts:
- Dist. 2 — Jennifer Lewis (Hillsdale)
- Dist. 4 — Jeff Sandborn (Ionia)
- Dist. 6 — Travis Fahley (St. Clair)
- Dist. 8 — Michael Mulders (Bay)
- Dist. 10 — Leona Daniels (Arenac)
- Dist. 12 — David Bahrman (Hiawathaland)